Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Should I pole vault this year even though I have never done it? Or should I just high jump?

Pole vaulting looks like tons of fun, but so many people at my school do it and are good at it.


I have never done it but always wanted to try.


I am a cheerleader, so I am flexible, have upperbody strength, and I have no problem flinging myself into the air.


I dont want to to suck at it though and not be taken to meets.


High jump looks like fun too though, and I know I could do that


Which one should I do?|||You have time to try both events, then you will know which one you like the best.


Neither event is easy, so since this is your first year, you should not expect to be the best now.


Many elite vaulters did not do well their first year, it is a learning experience.|||do it, you've always wanted to, and even though there's tough competition, you're a cheerleader so rough competition is usual. Don't let life's opportunity's pass you by, you'll regret it if you don't|||You know how when you went to an amusement park as a kid and you chickened out on a ride and regretted it afterwards? Think of life as being in an amusement park. You're going to be around for a finite period of time, so you'd better do the things you want to do.





Go for it. You sound like you want to try and have the physical ability to be pretty good. Don't worry about where you finish in your first or second year. Pole vaulting is really hard. If your coaches can't help you much, go find someone who can at a local track %26amp; field club or college.





Look, I just turned 45. My body is inventing new aches %26amp; pains all the time, and it's only going to get worse. I know that. But when I ran high school track, I tried things outside of my comfort zone of long distance. I ran the intermediate hurdles. (Not well, but OK.) I ran a couple of steeplechases. (I did much better there, though I made the mistake of wearing socks, which got really heavy after going through the water pit.) And I look back now with no regrets.





I think the big thing is to not have regrets. If you want to do, then do it. Commit yourself 100%. And in the sage words of Yoda, "Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."





BTW, Lester is right: you can do both. Who know? Maybe there's a heptathlete in you!

No comments:

Post a Comment