Friday, December 2, 2011

How do I get my hips over the high jump bar?

I've recently started high jump, and I'm struggling to get my hips high enough to clear the bar, I'd appreciate if you could give me any advice|||I do high jump too and another jumper on my team was having the same problem. And since our coaches never coached us in high jump (I'm pretty sure they consider it a 'minor' even...) I was the one who had to help everyone.





Okay, the first thing you could do is a bridge to help with your arch. If you can't get your hips over the bar, then you are lacking your arch. Hold the position for about 15-20 seconds then stop, then start 2 more times.





A second thing is (do you happen to have a bungee cord as well as a bar?) put the bungee at the height that you can just clear over. Then put the bar up a good 2-3 feet higher than the bungee. Jump like you normally would jump but try to force your hips towards the bar (that sounds wrong...) and then, if you clear it, move the bungee up an inch or two higher.





And a final thing you can do are dolphin kicks. Put the bar (preferably bungee if you have one) up to only around 3'8" (if you need, you can always raise it) Next, stand with your back to the bar/bungee and mat and jump backwards. Try to flick your feet and arch your back while you do this.





Hope this helps~

No comments:

Post a Comment