Friday, December 2, 2011

How high does a good middle hitter (spiker) have to jump (measuring from where their hand is)?

Im 13 and have been told that im too short to be a mid hitter because im 5,4 1/2 but I jump higher than my friend who plays mid hitter on her club team and is 5,8. I can get 8 ft and about 1-3 ins. high. is that good? also what can i do to make my jump higher|||It sounds like you jump pretty high (: So long as you can play the position effectively, your height doesn't matter. If you can jump high enough to get your hands over the net to block, and you can get high enough to hit it downwards, then it's fine. Normally somebody who's your height would be a libero or a setter, just because the middle position, by nature, is designed for tall people. But I know a great middle who's only 5'5" (and you're probably still growing).





To improve you're jump, because a higher jump helps everything, do workouts that exercise your legs. Here's what I do (I'm a middle too):





1) If you have stairs, go up them. Run, hop, skip a step, anything. It gets your legs burning and strong legs = a higher jump.


2) Wall sits or other stationary exercise where you're low


3) Planks and crunches. This may surprise you, but having a strong core can really help you jump.


4) Just jump! The more you do it, the better you'll be at it.





Good luck (:|||I play on a 14 club team and our best middle is 6'0 and touches 10'3"


but i am sure you are still growing, and ur vertical will continue to increase


i usually do wall-sits, calf raises, squats, and jump-rope when i work on increasing my vertical|||When I put my hands up to block I was measured at about 11-12 ft. What coaches are worried about is how high your hands can get above the net. Middles aren't specific heights.

No comments:

Post a Comment